Sunday, January 4, 2015

My Review-- The Mayonnaise Murders Part One by Keith A. Owens

Hello readers! I'm happy to share my review of The Mayonnaise Murders by Keith A. Owens. 



Synopsis:

Whoever killed Johnny Beardy ruined a perfectly good sandwich in the process. I was hungry when I found him, so that's the first thing came to my mind. For the record, my name is Vid. It's short for a name you don't wanna bother trying to pronounce if you're from Earth. Anyway, I solve problems. It's not what I always did, but things change and here I am. Stuck up to my gills in other critters' problems on good ole Planet 10. Once again, if you're an Earthling reading this, I meant that literally. You folks have a habit of making up cute little sayings and whatnot. Working your tail off. Sweatin’ like a pig. Up to your neck in. This ain't one of those. I have gills. Deal with it. On Planet 10, pork is fine but mayonnaise is illegal. Used as an essential ingredient in the highly addictive drug MayoMadd, mayonnaise has long been banned for the safety of the colonies which has been free of the MayoMadd craze for years. So then where did the mayonnaise come from? And who has enough pull to get it delivered to Planet 10? Or is somebody manufacturing it, and if so where are they getting the ingredients? Is sandwich spread really that important to a critter, and where does a dead rock star fit into all this? That’s what Vid has to find out, with more than a little help from Vee, a shapely news reporter with no shortage of attitude and an arsenal of quick comebacks wrapped in as much barbed wire as humor. What they eventually uncover is the biggest story of Vee’s career, but it could also pose one of the biggest threats to Earth’s teenagers – especially those with a taste for chemical thrills. The whole twisted affair could turn both Vid and Vee into wanted criminals just for playing too close to the fire.

My review:

This sci-fi adventure was a fun ride to strap on for. It was insane, filled with great quotes, wacky characters, and a plotline that kept getting better and better. 
 
The author Owens has his own voice and writing style that is very definable and enjoyable for me. He wrote to entertain and he succeeded.The book is fast-paced and the main character, Vid, was a well-developed lead to guide the reader through the plot. I saw some similarities in Owens writing as I did my own. To me, it seems that Mr. Owens writes to the beat of his own drum. This book may not be for everyone, but whoever wants to be entertained by a sci-fi novel should definitely have this book on their bookshelf.

Oh, and it's a detective/crime novel too. There's also that element of mystery. The character kinetics are great. 

All in all, this was a fantastically zany book and I look forward to reading more. 

Follow these links so you can get a copy of the Mayonnaise Murders for yourself! 

Goodreads
 

Amazon 
Author's Goodreads Profile 

No comments:

Post a Comment